Sunday 6 June 2010

A fashionable way to go green!



World Environment Day was just yesterday and to celebrate that thought I'd mention a few ways to reduce your carbon footprint and do your bit for the planet fashionably!


  • Unplug all electrical appliances when not in use. It's not enough to just switch it off. Studies have shown that by unplugging all appliances when not in use can lower the electricity bill by 10 %.
  • Switch to a natural loofah. Using a plastic one will take 1000s of years to degrade.
  • Invest in good quality clothes and accessories. Yes, its proven that by investing in garments that are of high quality will last you alot longer and not land up at a land fill.
  • Carry a cloth bag where ever possible. Try and dissuade from accepting plastic bags.
  • Avoid buying items that have excessive packaging.
  • Try segregating garbage at home.The amount of junk that I threw away that could have recycled is heartbreaking.
  • At work I had the annoying habit of using too many paper cups for my endless amounts of chai drinking. I now have got my own thermos.
I try as much as I can to use public transport. It's economical and earth friendly too.

Do try to incorporate these tips into your lifestyle. I switched to natural loofahs and carrying cloths bags everywhere. Segregating garbage is not that much fun but helps go a long way.
Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment